Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Driving Miss Diva - The Background

O.k. it started like this:

My daughter, pounding up the stairs just home from school, "Mommmmm, can you take me driving today?!"

Me, hanging head and cringing. "Umm, yeah I think I'll have time later"
Now I've been through this last year with my son and 15 years ago with my baby brother. So I knew this was coming and I do have previous experience, but there is just something different about your daughter driving. I don't know if it's because she's my baby or a girl.

Now I'm all for women's rights and women can do anything men can do, but I feel strangely protective of her in a way I didn't with my son. I've spent time thinking about this and here are some reasons I've come up with. As much as I hate to admit it I do have a double standard when it comes to my children. And I think it really comes from a physical standpoint.

The Girl:

My 16 year old daughter stands 5' 4" and weighs 110 pounds. (she's 4 inches shorter than me)

Without make-up on she looks 11.

I own a mid-size SUV and she can't see over the steering wheel.

She is severely anxious about new situations and events. (it took her 2 months to get the courage to go to the DMV and take the permit test)

The Boy:

My 18 year old son stands 6' and weighs about 190 pounds.

Has a man-sized body and looks 25.

He is very confident (perhaps overly) in most everything he does.

The physical issue is probably all in my head because my daughter is an athlete and is tremendously strong for her size. But I can't help wanting to protect her! I guess it all comes down to the fact that I'm just not ready for her to grow up yet.

Stay tuned for further installments of "Driving Miss Diva".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin