Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Here's What's Been Going On in Sassyland.

O.k. in my previous post I said that a lot of crazy things were going on here well here's the craziest. My mom, daughter and I live together and my brother moved in 2 years ago when he was getting a divorce. He's been looking for a rental house for him, his boys (who he hopes to be able to get custody of), his girlfriend and her 2 kids. They were having a terrible time finding anything so I came up with a brilliant idea...why not rent our house to them? We were planning on moving in 3 years and renting out the house anyway. It's the perfect size for a large family and we'd have tenants we could trust. Plus my brother is willing to do all the painting and ripping up of carpets and installing new extra base cabinets and pantry in the kitchen that has to be done to rent out anyway. Yay!

So off we went looking for a new smaller place of our own. We originally thought about renting a house also but the rents were too high and it would be cheaper to buy. The small houses we looked at needed so much work and didn't have room for a studio for me. Mom and I didn't want to deal with snow removal and yard work anymore either. So then we thought maybe a condo would be the way to go. My daughter is planning on joining the Military this Fall or next Spring so it will just be me and my mom but we do need a third bedroom for my daughter until she leaves and for when she visits, plus I hope my son and his girlfriend and their children will visit us. Did I tell you I'm going to be a Grandma for the first time?! Whoo Hoo!

We saw small condos with scary elevators, smelly larger condos with great views but needed the kitchen gutted and no where for my studio and a cute townhouse condo with super small bedrooms and stairs so steep even my daughter didn't like going down them. We had specific must haves which include first floor living ( my mom has 2 artificial knees and stairs are not her friend, plus she took a nasty fall this Spring and broke both her wrists so gripping is an issue too ), we have to bring the dog and cat ( they are family ), 3 bedrooms/ 2 baths ( one with a shower and the other with a large tub ), a large dining area that I could use for my studio, garage, in-unit laundry, an eat in kitchen and a patio. And then I saw one online I thought might be perfect for us. We went and saw it and put an offer in right away! The price was well under market value ( the housing market here is terrible and it takes forever to sell ). The selling couple want to start a family and the complex is adults only, which is perfect for us, nice and quiet. They are actually trying to buy a house in our current neighborhood.

We had our inspection and discovered that we need new windows in all the bedrooms and the dishwasher is about to die and there is an issue with some of the vents so we are waiting to see about that. It's a much larger condo that we thought about getting but we are downsizing from 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms and 2 dining rooms, plus we don't want to be all over each other since we are used to our own spaces. The bedrooms are the largest we saw and I will have a huge soaker tub in my bathroom. Our move in date will be in September sometime depending on the sellers buying situation.





2 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

Wow, you do have a lot going on!
I'm hoping everything goes smoothly for you, times like these can be so stressful.
take care.
xoxo - Cindi

Unknown said...

Moving, and all that goes with it, is crazy making. Remember to stay hydrated. :)) And sneak in some fun for you. xo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin