Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

More Wips On The Maleficent Piece

Well it's been slow going. Both my dogs got sick and one need surgery so it was a stressful time here in Sassyland. Lita had butt trouble again and we got her to the vet just in time before her butt ruptured again. Antibiotics and a few check ups and she's fine. Olive had abscesses in her mouth and had 2 teeth pulled and complicated gum surgery. She looks like an old lady without her dentures in but at least she is no longer in any pain and the vet said she healed remarkably well. I spent a lot of time holding and comforting 2 unhappy, stressed out and in pain dogs.
 Olive
Lita

I also broke my tablet (damn it)! Anyway here are more Maleficent wips.
Each scale is hand sewn, lightly stuffed and then sewn onto the chair back. I did them in light gray and med gray for contrast.



 I realized that the piece needed a structure underneath of it would look like a plush toy, which wasn't what I was going for, so I built a throne base.
 The beginning of the face. It's always scary at this point because the faces always look very cartoony but she came together nicely.

Once I had the basic doll figure done I realized I should have made the doll first and then the throne because I wasn't happy with the height of the throne. I could have left it but it would have drove me nuts so I then added height to achieve the look I wanted.
I added 3 or 4 inches to the back. I would have re cut out the wings to match the new back proportion but I didn't have enough felt and decided to let it go. I can be too picky about things. I have the arm rests done but don't have a pic on this computer.
I had to make 2 cloaks to get the right look. I still need to add detail to the cloak and of course the iconic headdress.

The whole piece will sit inside a shadowbox. I'm having some issues building it but hope to work it out. The deadline for the challenge was moved to June 7, thank goodness, so I have more time to finish. Hope you enjoyed seeing what I've been doing.

PART 1 and PART 2 and PART 4 to this project can be found at these links.

Are you interested in making your own easy felt project? Join my newsletter to get access to my newest patterns for FREE! Click here now!

5 comments:

Bettina Groh said...

wow!!!! can't wait to see her finished!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Jen! Your poor sweet pups! I hope they're feeling better.
Can I just say that this doll and throne are AMAZING!!!! Cuz they are. I love all the texture and detail. Can't wait to see it all finished. xo

Mary Ann Tate said...

Poor wee dogs. Your doll is looking magnificent:)

Cindi Myers said...

So sorry about your little pups!
I'm glad to read that they are both doing better.
Love Maleficent, she's looking amazing!

Jo Ferguson said...

Having both of your little babies, sick at one time, must have been horribly stressful. I hope their all better now. They're beyond adorable. This doll is incredible. I'm amazed at your eye for detail.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin