Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Queen of Snarkdom Graduates

 The 2010 Graduating Class of 
Homewood-Flossmoor High School
From the largest incoming Freshman class ever of 700 students 95% of those kids graduated and my daughter was proudly one of them. The red & white was supposed to spell out HF but really just looked like a blob and made the kids not in alphabetical order which was annoying cause you didn't know when your kid would be called so it was hard to plan for a picture.

This was a day to remember and not just for the achievement of the students but also for the torrents of rain that dropped out of the sky on us! A wise decision was made to forgo the speeches and start calling the kids to receive their diplomas as the clouds started to roll in. They got half way thru the names when...
...I had to cover the camera so don't have any shots of 600 plus graduates running across the football field to get indoors before they were completely drenched. Didn't work they were all drenched. The jam up trying to get off the bleaches and under cover was a bit scary.

The sun came out again about a half an hour later so the parents who didn't hear their child's name (like me) hiked back from the cars to the bleachers for the rest of the ceremony.

 Pretty sure this hat is my kid getting her diploma. LOL!
 They were taking pictures of each kid before they walked up on the stage and of course my daughter's picture came after the rain, she thought her hair was a mess and she argued with the photographer that she didn't want her picture taken! She is not called the Queen of Snarkdom for nothing!

After they got thru the rest of the names the kids had to go to the field house to pick up their actual diplomas and the skies opened up again and poured. Everyone just scattered at this point and left. 

I was kind of glad that there were other things going on to take my mind off the fact that I was her only parent there. (My mom was there with me). I raised her from 9 months old to now on my own but I was really sad that her father wasn't there, weird. Didn't think I'd feel that way and I was unexpectedly emotional about the whole thing. I guess seeing your baby and last child grow up will do that to you!

My mom and I took her to dinner and she had lots of funny stories to tell about this crazy day. (My son had the flu so missed the whole thing)
My daughter the High School Graduate.

6 comments:

Saskia said...

Congratulations to your daughter!!!!

Saskia :)

MLBetterly said...

Awww! You must be a proud mama, Jen! Congrats to your daughter! What a crappy weather day for such an event but I'm sure it was exciting nonetheless. I think when my son graduates it will be bitter/sweet. First born leaving the nest, something I have prayed for and dreaded all at the same time! lol

Anonymous said...

Congrats gal! Your daughter is beautiful. Tell her I said so!

Love Sandi

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Congrats to your daughter! What a lovely photo of her. I'm sure she's so excited about the future! Theresa

Cindi Myers said...

Congratulations to your daughter and to her wonderful mom who obviously did a Fantastic job of raising her into a smart beautiful young woman. Wow! You must be so proud and I can understand the bittersweet moment of watching her graduate. I don't have kids of my own, just my nieces, and I was crying when they went off to college last fall...I can only imagine...
Well done Mom! You both did good!

Wendy Wright said...

Yay! Congrats to your daughter! What a great picture of her! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin