Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Changed My Mind and Started Something New

O.k. so I know I said I'd was going to do a paper clay sculpture for my mom for Mother's Day. Well......I think I started off too large and it has a mean expression on it's face and I got freaked out! I really took on more than I could chew with that project. He/it still sits on my worktable glaring at me but I need time to think about what to do with that one.
I really hate when I get overconfident! Anyhoo, by the time I figured out I wasn't going to do this it was 6 days until Mother's Day. OMG!!!!! So I remembered that my mom wanted a little elf doll to represent her character when she plays Dungeons and Dragons. Yes, my 70 year old mom is a forest elf in D&D! We are a quirky bunch here.

I had an idea how the elf body should be but I don't have a pattern of my own for the legs to do want I wanted. I remembered I saw a free pattern in "Soft Dolls and Animals" September 2010 magazine by Roberta Schechter. Here's the original pattern.
I know what does a clown have to do with an elf? I wanted the doll to be able to cross it's legs Indian style. Of course I modified the pattern to my own style. I completely re drew the hands, shortened the neck, added one of my heads on the body and all the facial details are mine. I thank Roberta very much for offering this great pattern. It was a perfect jumping off point for me.
Here's where I left off last night. I need to attach her arms, give her clothes and do her hair but I know I'll have her done in time now. I think my mom is going to love her!

11 comments:

PussDaddy said...

So funny your Mom plays D&D. I never had the intelligence to play those kinds of games. I think your elf will turn out wonderfully. I love that clown too by the way.

PD

poppy lovesaparty said...

Your mom will definitely love her. My guess is that she would have loved your "mean looking" paper clay sculpture. Most moms can remember a day or two when their children looked less than angelic. Finish it up and show us what you might look like if you were angry!

Jingle said...

Loving the elf! I think the paperclay piece has a ton of potential, too! But, then again, that is one of my favorite mediums! LOL!

Louise K. said...

That looks great. Your Mom will love it. (She sounds very cool, by the way)

MAB from OtterCatHaus said...

Mom will love this! And the first fellow will come around and straighten up into a great project too. I don't think he's scary.

Cindi Myers said...

:)
You are so funny.
I'm loving the elf and I am sure your Mom will too!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

That is fantastic!!!
Oh and I love that your mom plays!!

Finding Charm said...

She'll appreciate that elf for sure since she's into that game. It'll have a lot of meaning for her.

OurWanderingAdventures said...

I gave you an award on my blog and linked to yours! You are so very creative!!

http://michellescharmworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/id-like-to-thank.html

yoborobo said...

Your mom is too cool! A D&D elf? I am going to tell my almost-21-year-old daughter that. She LOVES D&D, and plays it regularly (mostly with guys). I guess we are a curious group, too. Your elf is wonderful. I love that it can sit that way. You're a good daughter. :)) xox Pam

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

How cute!!

LOL, my husband plays D&D.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin